From WebOS Internals
Before updating to a new version of webOS, it is very important to follow certain procedures. Here is an outline of the recommended way to update your webOS when you use Patches (and/or Themes) installed via Preware
. Deviating from this procedure could cause unwanted results. If you have already updated webOS and did not remove your themes/patches, you will still need to follow these steps.
- Make sure you are running the latest versions of Preware and the Package Manager Service.
- If you are not, then go to http://install.preware.org/ and install them.
- Open Preware and select Installed Packages.
- Remove any Theme(s) you have installed. There SHOULD only be one...
- Update webOS. :) (If you have already updated, skip this step.)
- Fire up Preware and bring down the App Menu (top left corner).
- Select Update Feeds.
- All of your Patches should show as needing an update, tap Update All
- Reinstall theme if desired
- Thank the webOS-Internals group!
If you need any assistance, or just want to chat, download an IRC client and join us in #webos-internals on FreeNode.
For advanced users: You can dump a list of installed packages using the following technique. This assumes you already have shell access to your your Pre via novaterm or ssh.
- 1. Ssh into your Pre (you do not need to adopt root privileges)
- 2. Type (no quotes) "ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps list_installed | grep patches". This will display the list of patches applied to your Pre. You can redirect this output to a file or copy-and-paste it from your shell window.
Special thanks to dbSooner on the #webos-internals IRC channel for proposing this method.