Graphical Shell with WebShell
From WebOS Internals
Most people are reporting that Graphical_Shell_with_ajaxPHPterm works better than this method. You might want to try that one first ...
This article will allow you to use your web browser on your Pre for a terminal. You should have already rooted your Pre and installed an SSH server, enabled sudo and set up the optware repositories.
1. SSH into your Pre. 2. Download Webshell:
3. Install Python:
sudo /opt/bin/ipkg-opt install python
4. Extract the contents of WebShell-0.9.6.zip:
5. Generate a server certificate:
cd WebShell-0.9.6 sh ./make_certificate.sh
6. Move WebShell to /opt/share/webshell:
cd .. sudo mv WebShell-0.9.6/ /opt/share/webshell
7. Create an upstart script "/etc/event.d/webos-webshell" with the following contents:
start on stopped finish stop on runlevel [!2] console none respawn exec /opt/bin/python /opt/share/webshell/webshell.py -c "/opt/bin/ssh -p 222 -l $USER localhost" --ssl-disable
where $USER is replaced by your user name.
8. Restart the Pre.
9. Open up your web browser and go to
10. Type in your password and you now have a shell. You can run any commands you want now directly on your phone.
Note If it looks like you are seeing a bunch of text flash at the top of the screen, rotate your phone into Landscape mode, hit the enter key a bunch of times. You will either be able to see the error and can fix it through your version of SSH or you will get a disconnection message. If you do get a disconnected message, hit Refresh and try to login. It should start working then.
Note Eventually there will be a way to disable the auto-text functions (automatic caps especially).
Verified to work as typed by optik678 and hopspitfire.
- webOS 1.1: Can not get this to work with the new webOS. Same error over and over:
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/share/webshell/webshell.py", line 8, in <module> import array, time, glob, optparse, random, re File "/opt/lib/python2.5/glob.py", line 3, in <module> import os File "/opt/lib/python2.5/os.py", line 694, in <module> import copy_reg as _copy_reg File "/opt/lib/python2.5/copy_reg.py", line 7, in <module> from types import ClassType as _ClassType ImportError: No module named types